lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From David Spencer <dave-lucene-u...@tropo.com>
Subject Re: Lucene vs. in-DB-full-text-searching
Date Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:15:32 GMT
markharw00d wrote:

>  >>But this brings up - has anyone run Lucene off a database trigger or
> are  triggers known to be slow and bad for this use?
>
> I suspect the tricky bit would be knowing when to balancing the calls to
> Reader/Writer closes, opens and optimizes.
> Record updates are the usual fun and games involving a reader.delete and
> a document.write.

I agree this is the usual tricky/"fun" thing.
In similar situations I have:
- batched the updates in, well, sort of a "queue"
- flushed the "queue" after "t" seconds or "n" documents (e.g. t=60sec,
n=1000 docs)

Part of the trick is a document that changes multiple times during one
of these periods - if you have a "add queue" and a "delete queue" then
you'll probably have the wrong index with the doc either zero times or
more than one time - not impossible to cover, just something to keep in mind

- Dave