lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From David Spencer <dave-lucene-u...@tropo.com>
Subject Re: Lucene vs. in-DB-full-text-searching
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:23:26 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> The most obvious answer is that the full-text indexing features of
> RDBMS's are not as good (as fast) as Lucene.  MySQL, PostgreSQL,
> Oracle, MS SQL Server etc. all have full-text indexing/searching
> features,
> but I always hear people complaining about the speed.

Yeah, but in theory, in the ideal world :), it should't be any slower -
there's no magic Lucene has that DB's don't.  And the big advantage of
it being embedded in the DB is the index can always be up to date, just
as if you had Lucene updating the index based on a trigger. You don't
need any separate cron job to periodically update the index.

But this brings up - has anyone run Lucene off a database trigger or are
  triggers known to be slow and bad for this use?