lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Opening up one large index takes 940M or memory?
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:57:14 GMT
Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> 1.  Do I have to do this with a NEW directory?  Our nightly index merger
> uses an existing "target" index which I assume will re-use the same
> settings as before?  I did this last night and it still seems to use the
> same amount of memory.  Above you assert that I should use a new empty
> directory and I'll try that tonight.

You need to re-write the entire index using a modified
TermIndexWriter.java.  Optimize rewrites the entire index but is
destructive.  Merging into a new empty directory is a non-destructive
way to do this.

> 2. This isn't destructive is it?  I mean I'll be able to move BACK to a
> TermInfosWriter.indexInterval of 128 right?

Yes, you can go back if you re-optimize or re-merge again.

Also, there's no need to CC my personal email address.

Doug