lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jim Lynch <...@sgi.com>
Subject Are wildcard searches supposed to work with fields that are saved, indexed and not tokenized?
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:40:10 GMT

I was trying to write some documentation on how to use the tool and
issued a search for:

contact:DENNIS MORROW

And sure enough I got 647 hits.  Then I changed the searc to:

contact:DENNIS MORRO?

And now I get 648 hits, but in some of them the contact doesn't even
remotely resemble the search pattern.  For instance here are the what
the contact fields contain for some of these hits:
Contact: GENERIC CONTACT
Contact: Andre Gardinalli
Contact: Brett Morrow  (that's especially interesting)
Contact: KEN PATTERSON

And of course there are some with Dennis' name too.

Any idea why this is happening?  I'm using the QueryParser.parse method.

Jim.