lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jim Lynch <...@sgi.com>
Subject What does [] do to a query and what's up with lucene.apache.org?
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:31:08 GMT
First I'm getting a

While trying to retrieve the URL:
http://lucene.apache.org/src/test/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/TestQueryParser.java

The following error was encountered:

    Unable to determine IP address from host name for /lucene.apache.org

    /Guess the system is down.

I'm getting this error:

org.apache.lucene.queryParser.ParseException: Encountered "is" at line
1, column 15.
Was expecting:
    "]" ...
 when I tried to parse the following string "[this is a test]".

I can't find any documentation that tells me what the brackets do to a
query.  I had a user that was used to another search engine that used []
to do proximity or near searches and tried it on this one. Actually I'd
like to see the documentation for what the parser does.  All that is
mentioned in the javadoc is + - and ().  Obviously there are more
special characters.

Thanks,
Jim.

Jim.