lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Configurable indexing of an RDBMS, has it been done before?
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:03:01 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:

>> 1) Should we build this mapper into Luke instead? We
>> would have to lift a LOT of the DB handling "smarts"
>> from Squirrel. Luke however is doing a lot with
>> Analyzer configuration which would certainly be useful
>> code in any mapping tool (can we lift those and use in
>> Squirrel?).

You are welcome - you can take any parts except for Thinlet.java (which
is LGPL-ed).

> The dilemma with Luke is that its not ASL'd (because of the thinlet
> integration).  Anyone up for a Swing conversion project?  :)
>
> It would be quite cool if Lucene had a built-in UI tool (like or
> actually Luke).  Luke itself is ASL'd and I believe Andrzej has said
> he'd gladly donate it to Lucene's codebase, but the Thinlet LGPL is an
> issue.

Yes, I can confirm that all the parts of Luke that I wrote are under
ASL, and I would actually prefer to donate it than to maintain it all on
my own, especially with the recent speed of development.

Regarding Thinlet - there is some ongoing discussion on forking the
project (it's a long story), and we're lobbying up to put the fork under
  ASL - but it's up to the original author to decide this, and he's
rather reluctant to let it go like this...

So, if anyone wants to rewrite Luke in Swing, SwiXML or something else,
he's more than welcome - but this won't be me, because I hate Swing
programming...

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki