lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jim Lynch <...@sgi.com>
Subject How do I delete?
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:24:46 GMT
I've been merrily cooking along, thinking I was replacing documents when
I haven't.  My logic is to go through a batch of documents, get a field
called "reference" which is unique build a term from it and delete it
via the reader.delete() method.  Then I close the reader and open a
writer and reprocess the batch indexing all.

Here is the delete and associated code:

              reader = IndexReader.open(database);

              Term t = new Term("reference",reference);
              try {
                reader.delete(t);
              } catch (Exception e) {
                System.out.println("Delete exception;"+e);
              }

except it isn't working.  I tried to do a commt and a doCommit, but
those are both protected.  I do a reader.close() after processing the
batch the first time.

What am I missing?  I don't get an exception.  Reference is definitely a
valid field, 'cause I print out the value at search time and compare to
the doc and they are identical.

Thanks,
Jim.