lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Haxby <...@scalix.com>
Subject Re: Duplicate Hits
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:47:30 GMT
Jerry Jalenak wrote:

>Just to make sure I understand....
>
>Do you keep an IndexReader open at the same time you are running the
>IndexWriter?  From what I can see in the JavaDocs, it looks like only
>IndexReader (or IndexSearch) can peek into the index and see if a document
>exists or not....

I slightly misled you: it wasn't Lucene that I was using at the time and
in that system the distinction between IndexReader and IndexWriter
didn't exist.   I'm just getting to grips with Lucene really but it
would seem to be possible to use a similar scheme, especially if you
batch up your documents for indexing: as they come in, check the md5
checksum against what's already known and what's already queued and then
when the time comes to process the queue you know what you've got needs
to be indexed.

jch