lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From mark harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Configurable indexing of an RDBMS, has it been done before?
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:51:22 GMT
A GUI plugin for Squirrel SQL (
http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/) would make a
great way of configuring the mapping.
It already does all the heavy lifting for connecting
to different types of database and poking around the
internals.
I've got the bare bones of a plugin sorted (Connect to
any DB, right click table name, click "define Lucene
index...", list DB column names/types). Next steps are
controls to define the required mapping, run indexing
and provide an option to save the configuration in
some XML format for ongoing batch operation.

Before taking this further I suppose some wider
questions are:

1) Should we build this mapper into Luke instead? We
would have to lift a LOT of the DB handling "smarts"
from Squirrel. Luke however is doing a lot with
Analyzer configuration which would certainly be useful
code in any mapping tool (can we lift those and use in
Squirrel?).
2) What should the XML for the batch-driven
configuration look like? Is it ANT tasks or a custom
framework?
3) If our mapping understands the make-up of the rdbms
and the Lucene index should we introduce a
higher-level software layer for searching which sits
over the rdbms and Lucene and abstracts them to some
extent? This layer would know where to go to retrieve
field values or construct filters ie understands
whether to retrieve "title" field for display from
database column or a Lucene "stored" field and whether
the "price< $100" search criteria is resolved by a
lucene query or an RDBMS-query to produce a Lucene
filter. It seems like currently, every DB+Lucene
integration project struggles with designing a
solution to manage this divide and handcodes the
solution.

Any thoughts appreciated