lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Morus Walter <morus.wal...@tanto.de>
Subject Re: Disk space used by optimize
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2005 07:39:25 GMT
Bernhard Messer writes:

> >However, three times the space sounds a bit too much, or I make a
> >mistake in the book. :)
> >

> there already was  a discussion about disk usage during index optimize.
> Please have a look to the developers list at:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=1797569

> <http://mail-archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=1797569>
> where i made some measurements about the disk usage within lucene.
> At that time i proposed a patch which was reducing disk total used disk
> size from 3 times to a little more than 2 times of the final index size.
> Together with Christoph we implemented some improvements to the
> optimization patch and finally commit the changes.

Hmm. In the case that the index is used (open reader), I doubt your patch
makes a difference. In that case the disk space used by the non optimized
index will still be used even if the files are deleted (on unix/linux).
What happens, if disk space run's out during creation of the compound index?
Will the non compound files be a usable index?
Otherwise you risk to loose the index.

Morus