lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: User Rights Management in Lucene
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:19:10 GMT

On Feb 1, 2005, at 10:01 AM, Verma Atul (extern) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Lucene and want to know, whether Lucene has the capability
> of
> displaying the search results based the Users Rights.
>
> For Example:
>
> There are suppose some resources, like :
>
> Resource 1
> Resource 2
> Resource 3
> Resource 4
>
> And there are say 2 users with
>
> User 1 having access to Resource 1, Resource 2 and Resource 4; and User
> 2 having access to Resource 1 and Resource 3
>
> So when User 1 searches the database, then he should get results from
> Resource 1, 2 and 4, but
>
> When User 2 searches the databse, then he should get results from
> Resource 1 and 3.

Lucene in Action has a SecurityFilterTest example (grab the source code
distribution).  You can see a glimpse of this here:

	http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=security

So yes, its possible to index a username or roles alongside each
document and apply that criteria to any search a user makes such that a
user only gets documents allowed.  How complex this gets depends on how
you need the permissions to work - the LIA example is rudimentary and
simply associates an "owner" with each document and users are only
allowed to see the documents they own.

	Erik