lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Luke Shannon" <>
Subject Parsing The Query: Every document that doesn't have a field containing x
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:04:50 GMT

I have a query that finds document that contain fields with a specific

query1 = QueryParser.parse("jpg", "kcfileupload", new StandardAnalyzer());

This works well.

I would like a query that find documents containing all kcfileupload fields
that don't contain jpg.

The example I found in the book that seems to relate shows me how to find
documents without a specific term:

QueryParser parser = new QueryParser("contents", analyzer);

But than it says:

Negating a term must be combined with at least one nonnegated term to return
documents; in other words, it isn't possible to use a query like NOT term to
find all documents that don't contain a term.

So does that mean the above example wouldn't work?

The API says:

 a plus (+) or a minus (-) sign, indicating that the clause is required or
prohibited respectively;

I have been playing around with using the minus character without much luck.

Can someone give point me in the right direction to figure this out?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message