lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Christoph Kiehl <ki...@subshell.com>
Subject Use a date field for ranking
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:00:43 GMT
Hi,

we are currently implementing a search engine for a news site. Our goal
is to have a search result that uses the publish date of the documents
to boost the score of the documents.

I took a look at nutch to see how it implements pagerank and it seems
like this is done at index time by setting a document boost.

This approach won't work for us because ranking by date is optional. We
have to use something that boosts the scores at _search_ time.

My idea is to implement it like the sort functionality built into lucene
and use the FieldCache.

Has anyone a better idea or an important downside of this approach?

Regards,
Christoph