lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Opening up one large index takes 940M or memory?
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:46:20 GMT
: We have one large index right now... its about 60G ... When I open it
: the Java VM used 940M of memory.  The VM does nothing else besides open

Just out of curiosity, have you tried turning on the verbose gc log, and
putting in some thread sleeps after you open the reader, to see if the
memory footprint "settles down" after a little while?  You're currently
checking the memoory usage immediately after opening the index, and some
of that memory may be used holding transient data that will get freed up
after some GC iterations.

:         IndexReader ir = IndexReader.open( dir );
:         System.out.println( ir.getClass() );
:         long after = System.currentTimeMillis();
:         System.out.println( "opening...done - duration: " +
: (after-before) );
:
:         System.out.println( "totalMemory: " +
: Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory() );
:         System.out.println( "freeMemory: " +
: Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory() );

-Hoss