lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject sharing lock files on multiple computers
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:51:38 GMT

LIA mentions that it's not a good idea to put Lock files on an NFS volume,
I can't think offhand of any specific examples of why this is bad, but
based on on my experience with NFS I'm not surprised by the advice either.

that said, the same paragraph of LIA does say...

   If you have multiple computers that need to access the same index
   stored on a shared disk, you should set the lock directory explicitly
   so that applications on different computers see each other's locks.

http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=multiple+computers+%22see+each+other%27s+locks%22

...which prompts me to wonder, how do people do this (ie: configure
lockDir such that processes on seperate physical computers respect
eachothers locks) without using NFS?

-Hoss