lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: 1.4.3 breaks 1.4.1 QueryParser functionality
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:13:05 GMT

On Jan 5, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:
> Maybe I just misunderstand your release numbering policy.  Typically,
> in a library project that has major, minor, and micro release numbers,
> I'd expect no API changes between micro releases of a single minor
> release; only backward-compatible API extensions between different
> minor releases of a single major release; possible wholesale API
> changes (not backward compatible) between different major releases.
> Is this the kind of thinking that you also have?

Yes, absolutely.  The flaw you have stumbled on was completely an
oversight and a mistake that should not have occurred.  I, for one,
apologize for not catching it.  Only because I have custom QueryParser
subclasses and lots of unit tests did I catch the signature changes
that I did, and I'm not sure how I missed this one.  I have not gone
back, yet, to review the change history and whether my code is broken
in one of those versions of Lucene, or whether I've not overridden that
method.

In short - we screwed up, and we should fix it since its obviously
important to you.

	Erik