lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Lamprecht <clampre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reloading an index
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:25:04 GMT
I just ran into a similar issue.  When you close an IndexSearcher, it
doesn't necessarily close the underlying IndexReader.  It depends
which constructor you used to create the IndexSearcher.  See the
constructors javadocs or source for the details.

In my case, we were updating and optimizing the index from another
process, and reopening IndexSearchers.  We would eventually run out of
disk space because it was leaving open file handles to deleted files,
so the disk space was never being made available, until the JVM
processes ended.  If you're under linux, try running the 'lsof'
command to see if there are any handles to files marked "(deleted)".

-Chris