lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Rupinder Singh Mazara <rsmaz...@ebi.ac.uk>
Subject Null Pointer Exception
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:46:10 GMT
Hi all
  while executing a query  on lucene i get the following execption, if a
check for the IndexSearcher object == nulll
  or a assert i donot get any errors ?  Please help me out on this .
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.docFreq(IndexSearcher.java:69)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Similarity.idf(Similarity.java:255)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.TermQuery$TermWeight.sumOfSquaredWeights(TermQuery.java:47)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery$BooleanWeight.sumOfSquaredWeights(BooleanQuery.java:110)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Query.weight(Query.java:86)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:85)

 To access the Searchable object I use the following lines of  code, at
various places in my web application, all was fine till this morning and
running command line test scripts does not show a error

  public static IndexReader fetchCitationReader(ServletContext context)
throws IOException {

        IndexReader rval = (IndexReader)
context.getAttribute("luceneIndexReader");

        if (rval == null) {
            String var = (String) context.getAttribute("luceneRootName");
            System.out.println("var = " + var);
            IndexReader indexReader = IndexReader.open(new File(var));
            context.setAttribute("luceneIndexReader", indexReader);
        }

        return rval;
    }

    public static Searcher fetchCitationSearcher(ServletContext context)
        throws IOException {
        Searcher rval = (Searcher) context.getAttribute("luceneSearchable");

        if (rval == null) {
            rval = new IndexSearcher(fetchCitationReader(context));
            context.setAttribute("luceneSearchable", rval);
        }

        return rval;
    }