lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Cunningham <cun...@csiro.au>
Subject Span Query Performance
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 01:17:45 GMT
Hi all,

I'm currently doing a query similar to the following:

for w in wordset:
    query = w near (word1 V word2 V word3 ... V word1422);
    perform query

and I am doing this through SpanQuery.getSpans(), iterating through the
spans and counting
the matches, which can result in 4782282 matches (essentially I am only
after the match count).
The query works but the performance can be somewhat slow; so I am wondering:

a) Would the query potentially run faster if I used
Searcher.search(query) with a custom similarity,
or do both methods essentially use the same mechanics

b) Does using a RAMDirectory improve query performance any significant
amount.

c) Is there a faster method to what I am doing I should consider?

Thanks,
Andrew