lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From aurora <auror...@gmail.com>
Subject how often to optimize?
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:32:58 GMT
Right now I am incrementally adding about 100 documents to the index a day
and then optimize after that. I find that optimize essentially rebuilding
the entire index into a single file. So the size of disk write is
proportion to the total index size, not to the size of documents
incrementally added.

So my question is would it be an overkill to optimize everyday? Is there
any guideline on how often to optimize? Every 1000 documents or more?
Every week? Is there any concern if there are a lot of documents added
without optimizing?

Thanks.