lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ben Litchfield <...@csh.rit.edu>
Subject .NET Version of Lucene
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 02:18:18 GMT

I know there has been talk about a .NET version of lucene.  I have been
looking into doing something similar for PDFBox and came across a project
called IKVM http://www.ikvm.net/  I don't believe it has been mentioned on
this list.

It is a little different approach than what I people have been trying.
It uses the GNU classpath to bring all of the newer JDK classes into .NET
and you can run a command line app to create a DLL from a jar.  So for
example

ikvmc.exe -reference:ikvm.gnu.classpath.dll
-reference:IKVM.AWT.WinForms.dll -out:bin\lucene-1.4.2.dll
external\lucene-1.4.2.jar

The drawback is that you will need to include the ikvm.gnu.classpath.dll
in your project which is about 3 megs, but to be able to use lucene in
.NET and not have to use a manual process when a new version comes out is
pretty cool.  I have not gotten around to running the junit tests yet, but
that is next.

For PDFBox, which depends on ANT/junit/log4j/lucene, I was able to run the
jar->DLL process for each of those projects and run PDFBox in .NET without
a problem.

One licensing note, GNU Classpath is released as GPL "with an exception",
allowing it to be rereleased under a different license.  See
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/license.html for more details.

Ben