lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Document-Map, Hits-List
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:11:04 GMT
On Dec 1, 2004, at 11:31 AM, Luke Francl wrote:
> I do a similar thing, creating a List of asset references from a field
> in each Lucene Document in my Hits list (actual data for display
> retrieved from a separate datastore). I was not aware of any
> performance
> problems from doing this, but now I am wondering about the
> implications.

The performance "concern" (lets not say "problem") is when you get
10,000,000 (or so :) results back from a search.  No user wants to see
all of that, only the first 20, perhaps.  Calling Hits.doc(i) pulls the
document data from the index and populates a Document instance.  There
is file I/O involved, and doing lots of unnecessary Hits.doc(i) calls
may potentially be noticeable.  If you're only getting 100 hits back
then you'll likely not even notice.  (all numbers quoted here are just
random figures - don't quote me on actual performance numbers :).

In my current application, I have a paging feature.  Each new page does
a search again using the same query, but I only iterate through the 20
that should display on that page and build a highlighted data structure
to hand to the presentation of only the appropriate ones for the range.

	Erik