lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: HITCOLLECTOR+SCORE+DELIMMA
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:14:26 GMT

On Dec 13, 2004, at 11:16 PM, Karthik N S wrote:
>  time [ A simple search of 'handbags' returned 1,60,000 hits and time
> taken
> was 440 secs ,in production Env  / May be our
>  Coding is poor,But we are constantly improving the process ].

If your searches are taking 440 seconds, you have something more
fundamentally wrong.  You are either doing some large
wildcard/range/fuzzy expansions or you're accessing every document from
all your hits.  Is the searcher.search() method taking that long?  I
bet not.  Or rather is it the iteration over the Hits that is killing
the "search" time, which is what I suspect?

We've emphasized numerous times that calling hits.doc(i) is a resource
hit.  Don't do it for documents you aren't going to show.  To filter by
score, use hits.score(i) first.

>  { O/s Linux Gentoo , RAM 1GB, Lucene1.4.1,Appserver = Tomcat5, and
> BlackDawn Java 1.4.2 with Args  -XX:+UseParallelGC for
>
>  Garbage Collection  }

Please narrow your code down to a clean, succinct example that you can
post.  It is difficult to help you without details of your code (but
let me emphasize again - it needs to be clean and succinct so it is
quick for us to get a handle on).

>  To be One step in advance ,We also have an adjecent Fields 'Vendor
> ','Price' which we have to accordingly Compare
>  Best/Poor/Least results . So We have to have to limit the hits
> accordingly,since Lucene API does not provide any way to
>  inject this limiting facility *prior* to getting the hits .

Ah, so you are accessing every document to get this field information.
It is incorrect that you cannot filter prior to getting hits.  You have
a couple of options in filtering by a field value - use a QueryFilter
or simply AND a RangeQuery to the original query.

	Erik