lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: retrieve tokens
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:14:27 GMT

On Dec 22, 2004, at 12:04 PM, M. Smit wrote:
> Problem is though that I'm a little reluctant storing the data
> Field.Text instead of Field.UnStored, because of the shear size of the
> documents and the multitude I would like to index (say some 100paged *
> 2k documents).  But than again, it's size versus
> go-back-in-the-db-and-do-your-thing. Can anyone comfort me on these
> figures?

Highlighter does not mandate you store your text in the index.  It is
just a convenient way to do it.  You're free to pull the text from
anywhere and highlight it based on the query.

> Furthermore, you are saying that the highlighter takes care of the
> corresponding field/words for me and pull up a context snippet? Ouch,
> why haven't I stumpled upon the sandbox....

See a screenshot of it here:  http://www.lucenebook.com (going live
within a week!)

The Lucene in Action source code (available at
http://www.manning.com/hatcher2) has code examples - look at the
HighlightIt class.

	Erik