lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: SNOWBALL STEMMER + BOOSTING
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2004 08:22:34 GMT

On Dec 23, 2004, at 1:17 AM, Karthik N S wrote:
> Using Analysis Paralysis on SnowBall Stemmer [ using StandardAnalyzer.
> ENGLISH_STOP_WORDS
> and StopAnalyzer.ENGLISH_STOP_WORDS ] from
>
> http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2003/07/30/LuceneIntro.html?
> page=last#thre
> ad
>
> for the word   'jakarta^4 apache'
>
> both the cases return me something like this
> org.apache.lucene.analysis.snowball.SnowballAnalyzer:
>
> [JAKARTHA] [4] [APACHE]

> I wonder what happened to the BOOSTING SYMBOL '^' and if the same word
> is used on QueryParser.parse()

Analyzing a query expression outside of QueryParser is _not_ doing the
same thing that QueryParser does.  QueryParser picks out the pieces it
knows about (parenthesis, boost symbol, AND, OR, etc, etc) and only
analyzes term text.  In your example it would analyze "jakarta" and
"apache" separately.

> , What would be the Hit's returned???

That all depends on what you indexed and what analyzer you used at
index time :)

	Erik