lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Opinions: Using Lucene as a thin database
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:59:34 GMT
On Dec 14, 2004, at 9:40 AM, Kevin L. Cobb wrote:
> I use Lucene as a legitimate search engine which is cool. But, I am
> also
> using it as a simple database too. I build an index with a couple of
> keyword fields that allows me to retrieve values based on exact matches
> in those fields. This is all I need to do so it works just fine for my
> needs. I also love the speed. The index is small enough that it is
> wicked fast. Was wondering if anyone out there was doing the same of it
> there are any dissenting opinions on using Lucene for this purpose.

I use Lucene as the complete data storage for my blog at
http://www.blogscene.org/erik - all HTTP requests map to a Lucene query
(based on the path and optional query parameter).   I've been lame and
have never put any caching in there.

I'm about to start a new project that really needs a relational
database under the covers, but I'm cringing at the headaches involved
compared to the joys of using Lucene.

	Erik