lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kauler, Leto S" <leto.kau...@education.tas.gov.au>
Subject Exception: cannot determine sort type
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2004 04:25:44 GMT
We have been implementing Lucene as the datasource for our
website--Lucene is exposed through a java web service which our ASP
pages query and process.  So far things have been going very well and in
general tests everything has been fine.

Interestingly though, under a small server stress test (up to 2
connections/second) every second or third query has been producing the
error:

"java.lang.RuntimeException: no terms in field Title_Sort - cannot
determine sort type"

Title_Sort is a sort-specific field (Store=false, Index=true,
Tokenise=false).  I do not have access to the actual Lucene-calling
code, but I do not believe that the creation of the SortField defines a
type (so just defaults to AUTO).

I dug up this message from the list where Erik suggested to define a
specific type in the SortField, which in this case solved the original
poster's problem.
<http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lucene-user@jakarta
.apache.org&msgId=1726050>

We could specify the sort type as String but we do have some Date fields
too.  Are dates actually indexed as strings?

I am wondering why this exception might occur when the server/index is
under load.  I do realise there are many 'variables in the equation', so
there probably is not an easy answer to this.

Regards, --Leto

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

Information in this transmission is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed
and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised and you should
delete/destroy all copies and notify the sender. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised
use of the information contained in this transmission.

This disclaimer has been automatically added.