lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kauler, Leto S" <>
Subject Exception: cannot determine sort type
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2004 04:25:44 GMT
We have been implementing Lucene as the datasource for our
website--Lucene is exposed through a java web service which our ASP
pages query and process.  So far things have been going very well and in
general tests everything has been fine.

Interestingly though, under a small server stress test (up to 2
connections/second) every second or third query has been producing the

"java.lang.RuntimeException: no terms in field Title_Sort - cannot
determine sort type"

Title_Sort is a sort-specific field (Store=false, Index=true,
Tokenise=false).  I do not have access to the actual Lucene-calling
code, but I do not believe that the creation of the SortField defines a
type (so just defaults to AUTO).

I dug up this message from the list where Erik suggested to define a
specific type in the SortField, which in this case solved the original
poster's problem.

We could specify the sort type as String but we do have some Date fields
too.  Are dates actually indexed as strings?

I am wondering why this exception might occur when the server/index is
under load.  I do realise there are many 'variables in the equation', so
there probably is not an easy answer to this.

Regards, --Leto

Information in this transmission is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed
and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised and you should
delete/destroy all copies and notify the sender. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised
use of the information contained in this transmission.

This disclaimer has been automatically added.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message