lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: SEARCH +HITS+LIMIT
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:03:50 GMT
On Dec 9, 2004, at 2:59 AM, Karthik N S wrote:
> Apologies...............

Again, no need to apologize for asking questions.  Just ask :)

> One question for the form [ Especially Erik]

And no need to address anyone specifically here, though I'm happy to
help and am always here listening.

> Question
>
> How to Display the Contents for the Hits in  Incremental order ?
>
> [ Each Time a re hit to the Mergerindex with Incremental X value ].
> This would solve the problem of Out of Memory by prefetching all the
> hit in
> one strait go process.

It is unwise, as you've seen, to prefetch the documents from Hits.
Hits is designed for exactly what you're after.  You can get the number
of hits using hits.size().

My recommendation for paging through search results (and I'm using this
extensively myself) in a web application is to simply display 25
results on one page - iterating *only* through those 25 desired.  The
link (or button) the user presses to go to the next or previous page
passes the page number and query (search.jsp?query=some+query&page=2).
Your server-side logic will search again, and start the hits iteration
for 25 entries at 25 * the value of the page attribute.

Lucene is plenty fast enough to allow this to work without much
concern.  Since your index is getting somewhat large, though, you
probably do want to keep a persistent instance of IndexSearcher
available on the server (perhaps in application scope).  But a first
pass implementation don't concern yourself with even that - just
re-instantiate IndexSearcher for every search and see how fast things
are.  If its fast enough, leave well enough alone.

Does this all make sense?

	Erik