lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: document boost not showing up in Explanation
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2004 07:37:14 GMT

On Dec 27, 2004, at 9:54 PM, Vikas Gupta wrote:
> I am using lucene-1.4.1.jar(with nutch). For some reason, the effect of
> document boost is not showing up in the search results. Also, why is it
> not a part of the Explanation

It actually is part of it....

>     Below is the 'explanation' of a sample query "solar". I don't see
> the
> boost value (1.5514448) being used at all in the calculation of the
> document score - from the 'explanation' below and also from the
> quality of
> the search.
>
>     How can I see the effect of document boost?

Document boost is not stored in the index as-is.  A single
normalization factor is stored per-field and is computed at indexing
type using field and document boosts, as well as the length
normalization factor (and perhaps other factors I'm forgetting at the
moment?).

	Erik