lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ravi" <r...@htinc.com>
Subject RE: Retrieving all docs in the index
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 21:04:10 GMT
Thanks Paul. I think I'll go with the first approach (adding a new
field).

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Elschot [mailto:paul.elschot@xs4all.nl]
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 3:49 PM
To: lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Retrieving all docs in the index

On Thursday 09 December 2004 21:18, Ravi wrote:
> That was exactly my original question. I was wondering if there are
> alternatives to this approach.

In case you need only a few of the top ranking documents, and the
documents are to be sorted by date anyway, you might consider to search
each of the dates in sorted order separately until you have enough
results.

In that way there is no need to use a field with some constant value.
Nonetheless, I can recommend to have a special field containing all the
field names for a document. As all docs normally contain a primary key,
the name of the primary key field can serve as the constant value.

Regards,
Paul Elschot