lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jim Lynch <...@sgi.com>
Subject Multiple collections
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:18:47 GMT
I'm investigating search engines and have started to look at Lucene.  I
have a couple of questions, however.  The faq seems to indicate we can't
do searches and indexing at the same time.  Is that still true, given
that the faq is a few years old now?  If so is there locking going on or
do I have to do it myself?

We have currently about 4 million documents comprised of  about 16
million terms.  This is currently broken up into about 50 different
collections which are separate "databases".  Some of these collections
are producted by a web crawler, some are produced by indexing a static
file tree and some are produced via a feed from another system, which
either adds new documents to a collection or replaces a document.  There
are really 2 questions.  Is this too much data for Lucene?  And is there
a way to keep separate collections (probably indexes) and search all
(usually just a subset) of them at once?  I see the MultiSearcher object
that may be the ticket, but IMHO javadocs leave a lot to be desired in
the way of documentation.  They seem to completely leave out the "glue"
and examples.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim.