lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sergiu Gordea <gser...@ifit.uni-klu.ac.at>
Subject Re: addIndexes() Question
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2004 08:30:04 GMT
I think you should change a little bit your plans, and to think that
your goal is to
create a fast search engine not a fast indexing engine.
When you plan to index a lot of documents then it is possible to creata
a lot of segments (if you don't optimize the index)
and the serch will be very slow comparing with the search on an
optimized index.
The problem is that the optimization of big indexes is a time consuming
operation, and also

addIndexes(Directory[] dirs) I think is also a time consuming operation.

 Therefore I suggest to think how can you design the indices to have a fast search, and then

you should design an offline indexing process.

 That is my suggestion ... maybe it doesn't fit your requirements, maybe it does ...

  All the best,

  Sergiu