lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sergiu Gordea <gser...@ifit.uni-klu.ac.at>
Subject Re: Lucene index files from two different applications.
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:05:53 GMT
Gururaja H wrote:

>Hi !
>
>Have two applications.  Both are supposed
>to write Lucene index files and the WebApplication is supposed to read
>these index files.
>
>Here are the questions:
>1.  Can two applications write index files, in the same directory, at the same time ?

if you implement the synchronisation between these 2 applications, yes

>2.  If two applications cannot write index files, in the same directory, at the same time.

>     How should we resolve this ?  Would appriciate any solutions to this...

... se 1. and 3.

>3.  My thought is to write the index files in two different directories and read both
the indexes
>(as though it forms a single index, search results should consider the documents in both
the indexes) from the WebApplication.  How to go about implementing this, using Lucene API
?  Need inputs on which of the Lucene API's to use ?

If yor requirements allow you to create to independent indices, than you
can use the MultiSearcher to search in both indices.
Maybe this will be the most cost effective solution in your case,

 Best,

  Sergiu