lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Reloading LARGE index causes OutOfMemory... intern Terms?
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:04:11 GMT
We nighly optimizing one of our main indexes which takes up about 70% of
system memory when loaded due to Term objects being stored in memory.

We perform the optimization out of process then tell Tomcat to reload
its index.  This then causes us to open the index again which would need
140% of system memory and so causes an  OutOfMemory exception.

Whats the best way to handle this?  Do I open the index again or is
there a better way to tell Lucene that I'm reloading an existing index
so it uses less memory?

Is it possible to intern the Term objects so that I only have one term
per virtual machine instead of one per index?

Kevin

get a free iPod!