lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A question about scoring function in Lucene
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:30:11 GMT
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> There is one case that I can think of where this 'constant' scoring
> would be useful, and I think Chuck already mentioned this 1-2 months
> ago.  For instace, having such scores would allow one to create alert
> applications where queries run by some scheduler would trigger an alert
> whenever the score is > X.  So that is where the absolue value of the
> score would be useful.

Right, but the question is, would a single score threshold be effective
for all queries, or would one need a separate score threshold for each
query?  My hunch is that the latter is better, regardless of the scoring
algorithm.

Also, just because Lucene's default scoring does not guarantee scores
between zero and one does not necessarily mean that these scores are
less "meaningful".

Doug