lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Venkatraju <venkatr...@gmail.com>
Subject Impact of stored fields on index size and performance
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:04:06 GMT
Hi,

I have read (or somehow got this notion into my head) that having many
or large stored fields make the index much larger and affect
perforamance. Is this true? I can understand how it increases index
size but where does the performance impact come from? If the stored
field is stored directly in the index somewhere, why does that affect
search performance (searching should still take the same time because
the inverted index is not directly affected in any way)? Retrieving
each hit doc may take longer because the large stored fields must be
transferred from disk.

Thanks in advance,
Venkat