lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: how often to optimize?
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:58:59 GMT
Hello,

I think some of these questions maaaay be answered in the jGuru FAQ

> So my question is would it be an overkill to optimize everyday?

Only if lots of documents are being added/deleted, and you end up with
a lot of index segments.

> Is
> there
> any guideline on how often to optimize? Every 1000 documents or more?

Are not optimized indices causing you any problems (e.g. slow searches,
high number of open file handles)?  If no, then you don't even need to
optimize until those issues become... issues.

> Every week? Is there any concern if there are a lot of documents
> added without optimizing?

Possibly, see my answer above.

Otis