lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Steve Skillcorn <sskillc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Optimising A Security Filter
Date Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:05:58 GMT
Hello All;

I bought the Lucene in Action ebook, which is
excellent and I can strongly recommend.  One question
that has arisen from the book though is custom
filters.

I have the situation where the text of my docs is in
Lucene, but the permissions are in my RDBMS.  I can
write a filter (in fact have done so) that loops
through the documents in the passed IndexReader and
queries the DB to detect if the user is permissioned
for them, setting the relevant BitSet.  My results are
then paged (< last | next >) to a web page.

Does the IndexReader that is passed to the “bits”
method of the filter represent the entire index, or
just the results that match the query?

Is not worrying about filters and simply checking the
returned Hit List before presenting a sensible
approach?

I can see the point to filters as presented in the
Lucene in Action ISBN example, but are they a good
approach where they could end up laboriously marking
the entire index as True?

All help greatly appreciated.  Thanks to the authors
for Lucene in Action, it's given me the high level
best practices I was needing.

Steve