lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: partial updating of lucene
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:00:31 GMT
On Dec 9, 2004, at 9:48 AM, Praveen Peddi wrote:
> But when I am searching, it only searches in the index. Stored fields
> are only used to display the results, not to search. Why would it lose
> the terms in the index when I retrieve the document?

> First solution is not possible (I can't create a new document) since I
> only have modified fields.
>
> When I get a document, doesn't the fields have indexed terms along
> with it? Is there no way to get a full document (along with indexed
> terms) and clone it and add it to the index?
>
> Well is there anyway I ca update a document with just one field
> (because I only have data for that one field)?

A Document only carries along its *stored* fields.  Fields that are
indexed, but not stored, are not retrievable from Document.

Have a look at the tool Luke (Google for "luke lucene" :) and see how
it does its "Reconstruct and Edit" facility.  It is possible, though
potentially lossy, to reconstruct a document and add it again.

	Erik