lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Luke Francl <luke.fra...@stellent.com>
Subject Re: partial updating of lucene
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:30:32 GMT
On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 09:00, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Have a look at the tool Luke (Google for "luke lucene" :) and see how
> it does its "Reconstruct and Edit" facility.  It is possible, though
> potentially lossy, to reconstruct a document and add it again.

Or look at LIMO's implementation of that feature, which to my eyes is a
little easier to read (of course that's probably because I wrote it...
;):

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/limo/limo/src/net/sourceforge/limo/LimoUtils.java?rev=1.6&view=markup

(check out LimoUtils.reconstructDocument())

However, if you're doing analysis on your text to remove stopwords and
stuff like that, this WILL be lossy. I consider it more of an aid for
debugging than a way to re-index documents, though I suppose it would
work for that as well. However, I believe the process would be highly
resource intensive so I wouldn't recommend it.

The better solution is to add a stored keyword field that stores the
location of your document, and then re-index it from the source.

Regards,
Luke Francl