lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Justin Swanhart <greenl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: one huge index or many small ones?
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:28:18 GMT
First off, I think you should make a decision about what you want to
store in your index and how you go about searching it.

The less information you store in your index, the better, for
performance reasons.  If you can store the messages in an external
database you probably should.  I would create a table that contains a
clob and an associated id that can be used to get the message at any
time.

Assuming mail is in SMTP RFC format:

I would suggest:
Unstored: Subject
Keyword: From
Keyword: To
Stored,Unindexed: ID  <-- this would be the ID to the message in your database
Unstored: Body
Keyword: Month
Keyword: Day
Keyword: Year
(and any other keywords you might use)

Your lucene query would then look something like:
+From:john.doe@something.com +(Subject:money Body:money) +Year:2004

Use the stored ID field to get the message contents from your database.

If you want to break your index down into multiple indexes, based on
some criteria such as time frame you could do that too.  You would
then use a MultiSearcher or ParallelMultiSearcher to process the
multiple indexes.