lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From jeich...@optonline.net
Subject Considering intermediary solution before Lucene question
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:54:07 GMT

Is there a way to use Lucene stemming and stop word removal without using the rest of the
tool?   I am downloading the code now, but I imagine the answer might be deeply burried.
I would like to be able to send in a phrase and get back a collection of keywords if possible.

I am thinking of using an intermediary solution before moving fully to Lucene.  I don't have
time to spend a month making a carefully tested, administratable Lucene solution for my site
yet, but I intend to do so over time.  Funny thing is the Lucene code likely would only take
up a couple hundred of lines, but integration and administration would take me much more time.

In the meantime, I am thinking I could use perhaps Lucene steming and parsing of words, then
stick each search word along with the associated primary key in an indexed MySql table.
Each record I would need to do this to is small with maybe only average 15 userful words.
  I would be able to have an in-database solution though ranking, etc would not exist.   This
is better then the exact word searching i have currently which is really bad.

By the way, MySql 4.1.1 has some Lucene type handling, but it too does not have stemming and
I am sure it is very slow compaired to Lucene.   Cpanel is still stuck on MySql 4.0.* so many
people would not have access to even this basic ability in production systems for some time
yet.

JohnE