lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Xiangyu Jin <x...@cs.virginia.edu>
Subject Does Lucene perform ranking in the retrieved set?
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:46:50 GMT

THis might be a stupid question.

When perform retrieval for a query, deos Lucene first get
a subset of candidate matches and then perform the ranking
on the set? That is, similarity calculation is performed only
on a subset of the docuemnts to the query.

If so, from which module could I get those candidate docs,
then I can perform my own similarity calculations (since
I might need to rewrite the normalization factor, so
only modify the "similarity" model seems will not
work).

Or, is there document describe the produre of how Lucene
perform search?

thanks

xiangyu jin