lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Question about multi-searching [re-post]
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:29:57 GMT

On Nov 22, 2004, at 9:18 AM, Cocula Remi wrote:
>> (First of all : what is the plurial of index in english ; indexes or
>> indices ?)

We used "indexes" in Lucene in Action.  Its a bit ambiguous in English,
but indexes sounds less formal and is acceptable.

>> For that, I parse a new query using QueryParser or
>> MultiFieldQueryParser.
>> Then I search my indexes using the MultiSearcher class.
>>
>> Ok, but the problem comes when different analyzer are used for each
>> QueryParser requires an analyzer to parse the query but a query
>> parsed with an analyzer is not suitable for searching into an index
>> that uses another analyzer.
>>
>> Does anyone know a trick to cope this problem.

Nothing built into Lucene solves this problem specifically.  You'll
have to come up with your own MultiSearcher-like facility that can
apply different queries to different indexes and merge the results back
together.  This will be awkward when it comes to scoring though, since
each index is using a different query.

>> Eventually I could run a different query on each index to obtain
>> several Hits objects.
>> Then I could write some collector that collects Hits in the order of
>> highest scores.
>> I wonder if this could work and if it would be as efficient as the
>> MultiSearcher . In this situation does it make sense to compare  the
>> scores of two differents Hits.

No, it won't make good sense to compare the scores between the queries,
but I suspect our queries are pretty close to one another if all that
varies is the analyzer.  It still will be an awkward comparison though,
but maybe good enough for your needs?

	Erik