lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Aphinyanaphongs, Yindalon" <ping.p...@Vanderbilt.Edu>
Subject RE: Are similarity scores computed when using sort?
Date Sun, 28 Nov 2004 00:33:07 GMT
Erik!
Thanks for the response.  I'll take a look and see to customizing a solution.
Yin

________________________________

From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com]
Sent: Sat 11/27/2004 5:04 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: Are similarity scores computed when using sort?

On Nov 27, 2004, at 1:01 PM, Aphinyanaphongs, Yindalon wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response.  I don't necessarily need to calculated
> the similarity score. It was my understanding that the inverted index
> had a list of all the hits for each term so technically, no document
> returned from the inverted index should have a score of 0.

It's certainly true that the inverted index has a list of all documents
that contain each term.  However the word "hit" is by definition a
document with score > 0 given a query, not just a term.  Queries can be
quite sophisticated.  For example, I was very easily able to create an
XOR query by using a custom similarity.

> Would you know in what java class the call is made to Similarity and
> where that code may be commented out, or would it be preferable to
> write my own similarity sub-class instead?

Similarity use is spread out in several places.  Get a good IDE(A!) and
surf the code and you'll easily be able to see where methods of
Similarity are being used.

        Erik