lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chuck Williams" <ch...@manawiz.com>
Subject RE: Sorting in Lucene.
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2004 06:04:36 GMT
Ramon,

I'm not sure where a guide or tutorial might be, but you should be able
to see how to do it from the javadoc.  Look at classes Sort, SortField,
SortComparator.  I've also included a recent message from this group
below concerning sorting with multiple fields.  FYI, a number of people
have wanted to first sort by score and secondarily by another field.
This is tricky since scores are frequently different in low-order
decimal positions.

Good luck,

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 1:33 AM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: sorting by score and an additional field

On Nov 3, 2004, at 9:52 PM, Chris Fraschetti wrote:
> Has anyone had any luck using lucene's built in sort functions to sort
> first by the lucene hit score and secondarily by a Field in each
> document indexed as Keyword and in integer form?

I get multiple sort fields to work, here's two examples:

         new Sort(new SortField[]{
           new SortField("category"),
           SortField.FIELD_SCORE,
           new SortField("pubmonth", SortField.INT, true)
         });

        new Sort(new SortField[] {SortField.FIELD_SCORE, new
SortField("category")})

Both of these, on a tiny dataset of only 10 documents, works exactly as
expected.

> I can only get it to sort by one or the other... but when it does one,
> it does sort correctly, but together in {score, custom_field} only the
> first sort seems to apply.
>
> Any ideas?

Are you using Lucene 1.4.2?  How did you index your integer field?  Are
you simply using the .toString() of an Integer?  Or zero padding the
field somehow?  You can use the .toString method, but you have to be
sure that the sorting code does the right parsing of it - so you might
need to specify SortField.INT as its type.  It will do automatic
detection if the type is not specified, but that assumes that the first
document it encounters parses properly, otherwise it will fall back to
using a String sort.

	Erik

Lucene?