lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Frank Morton <fmor...@base2inc.com>
Subject boosting challenge
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:18:12 GMT
I have an index of restaurants with two fields. The "name" of the
restaurant and a "description".

I would like to search for the word "bob" in both fields, but if it
occurs in the "name", it would score higher. So, if "Bob Evans" is the
name of the restaurant, but other restaurants refer to "Bob" in the
description, the restaurant "Bob Evans" would score highest, but the
others would also match the query.

I thought you could boost the term with a query like:

name:bob^4 description:bob

and it would boost the word bob if found in the "name" property, but
this is not working for me. I get  the exact same results using the
above query and a simple "bob" query.

I am using lucene-1.4-final.jar.

I am using the PorterStemAnalyzer

Am I missing something. Lucene seems very capable,  otherwise.

Thanks.