lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Armbrust, Daniel C." <Armbrust.Dan...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: What is the best file system for Lucene?
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:58:13 GMT
As I understand hyperthreading, this is not true:

>Also, unless you take your hyperthreading off, with just one index you are
>searching with just one half of the CPU - so your desktop is actually using
>a 1.5GHz CPU for the search.

You still have the full speed of the processor available - the processor itself just keeps
switching between different threads of execution.  Some people have noted that some (single
threaded) applications will run 5-10% slower when hyperthreading is turned on - but that depends
on the app.  It certainly won't be running at half speed.

Dan