lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Lamprecht <clampre...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Considering intermediary solution before Lucene question
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 00:08:03 GMT
John,

It actually should be pretty easy to use just the parts of Lucene you
want (the analyzers, etc) without using the rest.  See the example of
the PorterStemmer from this article:

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/01/15/lucene.html?page=2

You could feed a Reader to the tokenStream() method of
PorterStemAnalyzer, and get back a TokenStream, from which you pull
the tokens using the next() method.

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 18:54:07 -0500, jeichels@optonline.net
<jeichels@optonline.net> wrote:

> Is there a way to use Lucene stemming and stop word removal without using the rest of
the tool?   I am downloading the code now, but I imagine the answer might be deeply burried.
 I would like to be able to send in a phrase and get back a collection of keywords if possible.

> I am thinking of using an intermediary solution before moving fully to Lucene.  I don't
have time to spend a month making a carefully tested, administratable Lucene solution for
my site yet, but I intend to do so over time.  Funny thing is the Lucene code likely would
only take up a couple hundred of lines, but integration and administration would take me much
more time.

> In the meantime, I am thinking I could use perhaps Lucene steming and parsing of words,
then stick each search word along with the associated primary key in an indexed MySql table.
  Each record I would need to do this to is small with maybe only average 15 userful words.
  I would be able to have an in-database solution though ranking, etc would not exist.   This
is better then the exact word searching i have currently which is really bad.

> By the way, MySql 4.1.1 has some Lucene type handling, but it too does not have stemming
and I am sure it is very slow compaired to Lucene.   Cpanel is still stuck on MySql 4.0.*
so many people would not have access to even this basic ability in production systems for
some time yet.