lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Will Allen" <wal...@Cyveillance.com>
Subject RE: Bug in the BooleanQuery optimizer? ..TooManyClauses
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:59:42 GMT
Any wildcard search will automatically expand your query to the number of terms it find in
the index that suit the wildcard.

For example:

wild*, would become wild OR wilderness OR wildman etc for each of the terms that exist in
your index.

It is because of this, that you quickly reach the 1024 limit of clauses.  I automatically
set it to max int with the following line:

BooleanQuery.setMaxClauseCount( Integer.MAX_VALUE );

-----Original Message-----
From: Sanyi [mailto:need4sid@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 6:46 AM
To: lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Bug in the BooleanQuery optimizer? ..TooManyClauses

Hi!

First of all, I've read about BooleanQuery$TooManyClauses, so I know that it has a 1024 Clauses
limit by default which is good enough for me, but I still think it works strange.

Example:
I have an index with about 20Million documents.
Let's say that there is about 3000 variants in the entire document set of this word mask:
cab*
Let's say that about 500 documents are containing the word: spectrum
Now, when I search for "cab* AND spectrum", I don't expect it to throw an exception.
It should first restrict the search for the 500 documents containing the word "spectrum",
then it
should collect the variants of "cab*" withing these documents, which turns out in two or three
variants of "cab*" (cable, cables, maybe some more) and the search should return let's say
10
documents.

Similar example: When I search for "cab* AND nonexistingword" it still throws a TooManyClauses
exception instead of saying "No results", since there is no "nonexistingword" in my document
set,
so it doesn't even have to start collecting the variations of "cab*".

Is there any path for this issue?
Thank you for your time!

Sanyi
(I'm using: lucene 1.4.2)

p.s.: Sorry for re-sending this message, I was first sending it as an accidental reply to
a wrong thread..